Based on the Recovery, Transformation and Resilience Plan (PRTR), presented on 7 October, it aims to support the implementation of projects focused on innovation and digitisation in different areas, from energy efficiency and sustainable energy to artificial intelligence, industrial competitiveness and circular economy projects. This plan relies especially on the resources that the European Union will make available to Spain, up to 140 000 million euros in transfers and credits over the next six years.
In order to make the most of the resources offered by the European Union, the Spanish government, from the different ministries, is studying various proposals and collecting expressions of interest from Spanish companies, with the aim of gathering the information that will make it possible to build and develop strategic lines of action.
Given that the programme is in the early stages of development, the consultations are informative and entirely optional. The lack of expression of interest will not limit the possibility of submitting proposals in a future call for proposals.
Ministry for Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge
The proposals presented by the Ministry for Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge (MITECO) are closely related to the transition to a more sustainable energy model, in line with the Green Deal pact proposed by Europe. The deadline is 26 February 2021:
- Renewable energies. This is a broad line of action that seeks projects that innovate and optimise existing renewable energies and their integration into industry, including new business models that improve management and help the deployment of renewables in all sectors. Projects that contribute to awareness raising and education will also be considered.
- Energy system flexibility, electricity infrastructure and smart grids and deployment of energy storage. This proposal would, on the one hand, target projects contributing to the deployment of energy storage and the development of industrial capacities, including second life of equipment. On the other hand, digitalisation of grids and improvement of electricity infrastructure for the integration of renewables.
- Local Energy Communities. The right to access to energy is another fundamental axis of the change of energy model, placing citizens at the centre of the energy system, establishing measures that contribute to citizen participation in the energy field, distributed generation and the development of local energy communities.
- Sustainable Energy in Islands. This proposal, specific to island territories, aims to respond to the challenges related to the additional costs of electricity generation in these territories compared to the mainland system and the difficulty of integrating renewables due to the smaller size of the electricity systems and their fragmentation.
- Circular economy. This plan seeks proposals and initiatives related to the design and development of cleaner and circular business models, including processes and services that increase the durability, reparability and recyclability of existing products.
In addition, MITECO is studying the possibility of submitting calls for projects related to the use of hydrogen for energy production, the fight against depopulation (improving energy efficiency in rural areas and digital connectivity), and electric mobility, the latter in line with the objectives of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the advancement of renewable energies in transport.
Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda
Taking the European programme for the development of the Trans-European Transport Network as a reference, this ministry presents the Programme of Support for Sustainable and Digital Transport, with 6 possible lines of action. The deadline for submitting expressions of interest is open until 28 February 2021:
- Interoperability in rail freight transport. Aimed at the improvement and development of the Spanish railway system: from the adaptation of locomotives for various working voltages or variable axle widths, to railway traffic management systems.
- Promotion of transport intermodality. This is a specific line for the improvement of rail-road terminals and their land connections.
- Modernisation of rail freight equipment. This line is aimed at the renovation and adaptation of the railway system: from improvements to freight wagons, to the adaptation of traction equipment to use alternative fuels, such as hydrogen.
- Safe, sustainable and connected road transport. Specific to road transport, it includes various proposals to reduce the carbon footprint (including sustainable pavements), the implementation of intelligent transport systems and infrastructure improvements.
- Maritime and air transport sustainability. Support lines for the deployment of technologies that enable the use of alternative fuels and energies in the maritime and aviation sector.
- Digitalisation of transport. To promote the digitisation of national passenger and freight transport services.
Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism
The Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism is studying various initiatives that contribute to boosting industrial sustainability in Spain, with projects focused on innovation and digitalisation. The projects cover a wide spectrum, including improvements in industrial quality and safety processes, artificial intelligence solutions and advanced data processing, additive manufacturing or industrial projects that include augmented reality and collaborative robotics.
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Digital Transformation
Por otra parte, el Ministerio de Asuntos económicos y transformación digital está creando un plan dirigido a la mejora de la conectividad digital, la ciberseguridad y el despliegue del 5G, estrechamente relacionados con la estrategia “España Digital 2025”, presentada el pasado 23 de Julio de 2020.
At Qi Europe we assist companies to find the financing lines that best suit the interests of our clients. Contact us for more information, we will advise you.